Tuesday, September 7, 2010

texas

My grandparents treated us to our annual visit and as always we had a great time. Joachim is starting to remember them and their house from one visit to the next which is fun. We went in July which is a pretty big mistake (bigger than I realized), but I wanted them to see Anna when she was still a baby. We will now get back on our winter visit schedule and I don't think we'll do summer again. I really don't know how people live there, it doesn't even cool off at night!
My rose was in bloom! More than 20 years ago my grandmother had each of is grandkids pick out a rose and she planted the bush in her garden for us. I am happy to say my rose bush is one of the surviving few (It has been a long time). It's a yellow peace rose developed after WWII. I of course didn't know that when I picked it, but some time in high school my grandmother sent me a newspaper article she found all about my rose. I vaguely remember picking it based on scent... and it still smells just as luscious.
Martha Gene and Baity as an engaged couple.
I sometimes try to picture my Grandmother with 4 kids under the age of 6, taking diapers to the laundromat down the street and having ice delivered to her ice box. I always want her to tell me how she did it and what she remembers and she says it's so long ago no one could remember. She's still sharp as a tack and not one bit senile, I guess it just was a long time ago. It makes me wonder if I'll really forget these sleepless baby nights. I already forget parts of what we went through with Joachim's skin rashes. The days are long, but the years are short.

1 comment:

The Golins said...

Christi! Your children are beyond precious! Keep posting pictures. I wish Anna and Gregory could meet... they could compare who has more..err.. less hair!