Monday, June 29, 2009

fishing

Saturday Joachim had his first fishing adventure. Inspired by Kassia, who pointed out that kids don't need a license, I bought Joachim the cheapest of the fishing gear I could find. I figured there would be no question exactly who was fishing with a 3 foot green and yellow SpongeBob SquarePants pole.

My brother and I used to fish in a pond where we would catch sunfish as fast as we could bait our hooks and get them back in the water. We'd compete to see who could catch the most fish in a set time. The limiting factor was how long it took to unhook the fish and re-bait the hook. If the fish swallowed the hook you lost a lot of time. We could even catch fish on open safety pins tied to a stick, so I don't have a very accurate take on fishing.

Fortunately Ben knows how to attach all the fishing accouterments and got Joachim off to a good start and all considered I think Joachim did pretty well. He needed help casting, but reeling in was no problem, he'd even wait a few moments to see if the bobbin moved (a very few moments).
Best of all they actually caught fish, 4 fish to be exact. Once we found the magic spot it was almost like when my brother and I fished. We know where to start next time (Kassia, we'll have to go fishing with the boys).

Ben and I were really getting into it, but after a few fish Joachim became more interested in throwing rocks in the water. Now Ben and I have the fishing bug, so maybe I'll look into licenses for us.

No comments: