Thursday, April 24, 2008

Pysanky & Pascha (Eastern Easter)

As my friends living in Russia know, we have not celebrated Pascha (Easter) yet, which is why just yesterday we decorated eggs. If you are interested in why we are on a different calendar I found this explanation which I think is pretty accurate. It has to do with when Passover occurs which depends on the cycle of the moon which is not taken into account in the Gregorian calendar. Since Christ is our Passover lamb, the orthodox use the term "Pascha" which is Greek for Passover.
Below Jacob very proudly shows off his eggsJoachim really got into the dipping, plopping eggs into one dye after another. He ended up with blue fingers and large Robin's eggs. Us big kids decorated eggs Pysanky style which is a Ukrainian technique involving beeswax and multiple dips in the dye. The word Pysanky is related to the word meaning "to write" since the decoration is "written" with beeswax rather than painted. Below is my egg, I'm melting the wax to wipe it off, the whole process is a bit like batiking.These are our eggs, mine is a bit sloppy, but I have the idea now so stay tuned for next year's eggs.These are some eggs to envy. Each of them is loaded with symbolism and meaning.

No comments: