I asked Janet if she'd open her home because I love her cozy farmhouse and then I started to ask around church to gauge the interest. As it turned out, there was actually lots of interest, each woman had a project tucked away for years that she'd like to work on, but just never had the time. In fact, when we did convene Beth won the prize for bringing the oldest project, a floral cross-stitch for her parents 50th wedding anniversary (which was 11 years ago). I brought a pair of Valentine socks I started for Ben before Joachim was born (maybe I'll finish them for this year).
Well, it was a lovely night with nine women in attendance, Donna even completed a vest that she'd put off for 4 years! It was so interesting see all the projects and especially getting the demonstration of Janet's new sock machine. It's an exact replica of one from the late 1800's and it's fascinating. She said there were home business scams even then, because included were reprints of the original flyers for the machine claiming that wives could have their own home business making socks, but think about, up until this machine, socks were all knit by hand! It looks easy in the following video, but I understand the heel and toe are challenging to master... she also finished assembling her first sock!
1 comment:
this looks like great fun! i especially like the idea of finishing something you've been working on for a long time. man, i have about a million of those somethings...
and on a knit note, we love the little booties you made for isla! they're so classy. thanks again!
Post a Comment