Wednesday, September 10, 2008

cool weather & canning

Cool weather has arrived as most of the nights this last week were in the high 30’s. The plants are slowing down and are in danger of their first frost, which is just fine by my, I’m pretty much done with the garden.
Recently we had a canning day at Grandma’s house and I put up ten pints of salsa with tomatoes from my garden and peppers from hers. She put up way way more than me, but still, I’m proud of our bounty, I've also been trying to dry a lot of produce. I think I’ll put up some applesauce when the season comes, but that's enough for me this year. It’s not long before Joachim gets tired of me peeling and cutting things. He has a lovely fascination with spaghetti sticks and the canning rings and he’ll gladly stab potatoes with a fork for you, but that all only lasts so long.
As far as our garden update, we definitely had a bumper crop of tomatoes, and we could barely keep up with eating the cucumbers off of our one vine. We also are enjoying zucchini, basil, radishes, butternut squash, kale and cantaloupe and we still have carrots and beets in the ground for the winter. We lost the beans and lettuce to some mysterious bug that no one has yet to identify so there will be no pictures of Joachim’s bean house but we will try again next year. It is very difficult to garden at a house one does not live in, but my very capable husband stopped by many an evening after work to harvest and water
one of our Cantaloupes

1 comment:

knittinginatree said...

psst. I really enjoy reading about your little life. It looks so grand. Hope you are enjoying the fall.
It is very orange and green here. Thank you for the email too--I will respond soon. Promise.