We watch the 6:30am news because we're up and the local news guys are amusing. The good ones are funny because they don’t take themselves too seriously, they know they're small
townish. I’m particularly fond of the weatherman who underplays his critical role. Several weeks ago he fully illumined the weather for me. He said, “It’s been in the 90’s for the last week and that’s your forecast for the rest of the summer.” He went on to tell about the skunk he hit the night before and how it covered his truck. No chance of rain, no chance of cool spells, just hot and dry and some more hot and dry.
So, I’m swallowing my complaint about it being too cold here and now I'm complaining that it’s too hot. No it’s not the Mojave, at least the days start out cool enough and end that way, but each one is like the one before. On the plus side there's no need for rain dates, because it doesn't rain.
This brings me to my meek garden, of which I am very proud. The wire structure will be a bean house for Joachim, I'll prove it in August.

This is my first garden and my first experience on 100% drip irrigation. Eight years ago I interned on an organic farm in Pennsylvania and they used some drip, but mostly it rained. It's a strange feeling to see my plants get bigger and bigger, but never see a drop of rain. You can see the stark brown dirt around my "lush" green garden. The irrigation is on a timer, so I can go days without stopping by the house and still have an oasis awaiting.
I live in an agricultural community, and it never rains!?! The more I learn about farming here the more fascinating it becomes. My brother-in-law and his 40 acres is teaching me a lot. There are extensive irrigation canals running all over Delta and people have "water rights" to them. At the turn of the century people were actually shot over water issues. The disputes continue, but over all it's an amazing display of cooperation, (with the help of some law-enforcement).
I looked up average annual rainfall and was surprised that I really do live in a desert:
Philadelphia- 42”
Colorado Springs- 14”
Delta- 7”Mojave desert- 5"

I have faith in my little garden, I'll post harvest pictures later.
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing pics of your garden...I miss mine! Living in an apartment now, no dirt patch for me...so I'm making due with container gardening. Can't wait to see the bean house.
Amazing irrigation system! Never really knew you could have a garden that way. That's great.
Post a Comment