Monday, January 28, 2008

first word

Joachim says 2 words that divide his world into one of two categories.

He's been saying "h-o-t" for a couple months now. Some kids learn "cat" or "dog" because they hear them a lot, my son learned "hot" because of our wood stove. Until we put the gate up, Ben and I were drilling him with "hot" and gestures of burning ourselves.

For Joachim, "hot" means both the thing that is hot and the concept "hot" including any of the following: fireplace, oven, light, heating vent and mug (because they often have tea or coffee in them). In the back of church he whispers "h-o-o-o-o-t" meaning he wants a candle, he likes the word so much that he literally says it in his sleep. He's been practicing different intonations, sometimes drawing the word out and sometimes using a short whisper and then he repeats the "t" part because he likes the way it sounds.

He didn't want to perform for the camera, but I got a few out of him.

Joachim's other word is "nan" which indicates "I'm hungry" and refers to everything edible or drinkable. He understands other words, but doesn't use them. For anyone who has children this is not so amazing, but because he is my child, I find it utterly delightful

No comments: